Friday, May 18, 2007

The constants and then some...

As the first rain of the season poured down on the yellow and red brick wall all she could do was look on in mesmerized silence.... her feet exploring the wet green bunches of grass on a muddy lawn and her heart staring on at the sky... wandering at the mysteries it holds and how many shall unfold!

She'd been wondering recently of the constants in her life! The starkest of them all stand out as the 'press wale uncle!' or the laundryman! Day in and day out.. he comes and takes the clothes and leaves them back! Taking it to another level... her biggest constant has been the smile in her heart! Yes it wanes sometimes... it takes different forms.. but its always there! Dad had looked on to her proudly one day and said, 'She finds her joy in small things! A crsytal champagne flute filled with coke is one her biggest joys!' :) She can't forget the expression on his face as he said that... it's like stuck in her heart!

Her joys and her sadnesses are the tiniest of things... The big things matter.. yes they do! But they've been made possible by the small ones right?! If I go on to describe them then there's just that song from the 'sound of music' that comes to mind...

' Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad'

:) And that's the way it is with me! And then again, 'Happiness is the art of making a bouquet of the flowers within reach!'

Someone once said to me that 'Happiness is an illusion!' My reply to that has always been, 'You are as happy or as sad as you want to be! You just have to look a lil more to find your joy!' :)

Enjoy the monsoons people! (The song on her ipod right now.. 'Jeene ke ishaare mil gaye... Bichhde the kinaare mil gaye!') :)

2 comments:

Skinsleuth said...

I just love this song..keep smiling, dear. :)

ani said...

shraddha: :)